Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Demonic Vacation Bible School

I have a good friend going into seminary soon. He is Lutheran and is aiming at becoming a positive liberal voice in the church for equality and kindness towards all people. You know, the kind of change all organized religions need to make. Which is why I'm proud to call him a friend.

Okay, all that said, now here's the blasphemous funny part. He was telling me of a local church he had seen that was doing VBS (Vacation Bible School for the unknowing, also known as Indoctrination Training in many congregations, since this is where they turn them into Jesu-terrorists), and the theme for their VBS is "space camp". Now that's weird for a fundamentalist church, so it's probably some anti-science thing. He then tells me that his church's VBS theme is cute little panda bears, and it'll be called: "Panda-monium."

And that, of course, is when I had to shoot off my asshole mouth. I pointed out that the term Pandemonium doesn't mean chaos or anarchy. Pandemonium was coined by John Milton in Paradise Lost, and was the name for the capital city established by the fallen angels in Hell. It literally means "place of demons".

Pan-demon-ium

And that's when he just looked at me and said, "Shut up, Ray." And I did, but am I alone in finding this hilarious?