Tuesday, June 21, 2011

When fans make the celebrity look bad...

And oddly enough, I'm not talking about Jesus. Or Elvis. Or any boy band. I'm talking about Jo Koy, who is a comedian. And not one I have any particular beef against. People in the comedy world are always running the risk at saying something that will be taken the wrong way. I fully understand that. So when Jo Koy said, to an audience member, "fucking faggot," I accept that it was a joke. Also, according to many who were there, not only is Jo Koy a supporter of gay rights, but that the booing off the stage was not from the comment, but people insisting his time was up and that he leave the stage.

With the sensitivity after Tracy Morgan's outlash, it's not hard to see how this was spun out of control. I get a joke as much as anybody, but at the same time, in our political climate, I also understand why "fucking faggot" isn't funny to some. I don't know Jo Koy, but I will learn more about him. He's adorable from the photos I have seen. I want to make this very clear... my issue is not with him. He did the right thing to apologize for the word use and to acknowledge that homophobia is, plainly said, "not funny". I thank him for that.

My problem is with the people telling those who are upset by the word... well... to just get over it. Because with all that has transpired in the political climate of today, trust me... my community can take a joke. We're awesome at it. Go to any drag show and you'll see the most irreverent humor on earth, and these extremely non-PC, or politically incorrect people, are the ones I trust most to defend my equality or me in a gay bashing situation. That being said, this isn't about political correctness. This is about whether "fucking faggot" justifiably upsets people if they don't know the situation, and why you don't just yell "Get over it!" to them. If they don't know what's happened, and all they know is that he used the slur, then you're not going to make anybody feel better by calling them pussies... if you don't have the decency to acknowledge homophobia isn't funny, and reassure them that Jo Koy isn't a homophobe with some kind of dignifying talk, then all you're doing is bashing people who already feel bashed enough, and telling them their feelings don't matter.

Jo Koy did the right thing. The fans, however, are going to drag his name into mud when he doesn't deserve it, and that's the point I hoped to get across on his Facebook page... after the jump...